Final up to date on March thirtieth, 2023 at 01:55 pm
When you’ve by no means been on an African safari earlier than, figuring out what to put on and what to pack is usually a little daunting!
However with this what to put on on safari information, I’ll show you how to pick the perfect safari clothes in addition to all the opposite necessities it’s possible you’ll want.
On most journeys by means of East or Southern Africa, you might be prone to encounter just a few completely different temperatures and climate circumstances inside one journey as it may be sizzling and humid on the coast, however dry and funky on the African savanna, only a few hours away.
So when you’re happening an extended journey that features various things equivalent to safari, trekking and seashore time – take into consideration your journey as an entire and plan your safari garments accordingly.
Please Notice: A few of the hyperlinks on this submit are affiliate hyperlinks, which can earn me a small fee at no additional value to you. Affiliate gross sales assist with the working prices of this web site, so thanks on your help!
Garments for Safari & What to Pack
Garments for Safari – What to Think about
Okay, so I do know on Instagram, everybody appears to be like like a glamorous, modern-day Karen Blixen, or a full-on Indiana Jones – however in actuality, hardly anybody clothes like that on a safari and it’s not normally required, particularly if you’re in a automobile all day.
By all means, costume like that if you wish to, it does look beautiful in photos and khaki is fairly fashionable nowadays, however don’t really feel such as you have to. The one time you actually want to be in safari colors is if you’re doing a strolling or biking safari (see beneath) and subsequently extra seen to the animals.
Most individuals put on both their regular garments or hiking-type garments after they’re on safari, so what I’m saying is, you don’t must exit and spend a ton of cash on particular ‘safari’ garments that you just may solely put on as soon as.
I’ve most likely completed over 100 safaris, and the one piece of ‘safari-specific’ clothes I personal, is my safari hat and acquired that as a result of it has nice solar safety, and I assumed it might look good in photos – however any wide-brimmed excessive SPF hat would work!
I’ve some khaki-coloured garments, however most of them are simply common garments. I usually advocate comfortable garments that may be layered.
You too can purchase insect-repellant clothes which is handled with permethrin (or different varieties of bug spray), or you should buy the permethrin your self and deal with your garments.
Your garments for safari ought to:
- Defend you from the solar.
- Defend you from bugs.
- Defend you from the surroundings (ie. scratches/stubbed toes).
- Will maintain you cool or heat.
Folks consider Africa as a spot that’s all the time sizzling, but it surely actually isn’t! In reality, it may be extraordinarily chilly at instances, particularly if you’re on early morning/night safaris, at altitude (like on the Ngorongoro Crater rim) or sitting exterior for hours at night time.
Sure instances of yr are additionally very chilly too. When you’re travelling within the European summer time months (Might – August), you’ll discover locations like Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, Kenya & Tanzania might be very chilly within the early mornings/evenings, however heat within the day!
No matter time of yr you go on safari, it’s all the time good to no less than take a heat jumper, however within the colder months additionally, you will want a heat jacket and maybe thermals, heat socks, a beanie hat and gloves.
When you’re doing any type of tenting safari, do not forget that you can be exterior loads!
I put on my regular garments for safari more often than not (denims/leggings or t-shirts/sweaters) after I’m within the automobile on safari.
Nevertheless, when you plan to do issues like nature walks, horse driving or biking safaris, it’s best (and infrequently required) so that you can put on extra impartial colors (inexperienced, beige, gray, brown, khaki).
For the above outfit, the place I used to be visiting the final two northern white rhinos in Kenya, I simply wore a light-weight inexperienced t-shirt from Vegan Outfitters, a pair of khaki-coloured pants from New Look and my Nike trainers. They weren’t particular garments, simply common garments.
I attempt to keep away from white (it appears to be like nice, but it surely will get extraordinarily dusty/ruined – but it surely does look good when clear and many folks nonetheless put on white), and black and blue (as they’re identified to draw tsetse flies). They are saying you shouldn’t put on very vibrant colors as they entice mosquitoes, however apparently, mosquitoes don’t like white, inexperienced, or purple.
Additionally, you will need to keep away from any sort of camouflage or military-style clothes as some international locations don’t enable it.
Lengthy-sleeved shirts and lengthy pants are helpful for a lot of causes! They maintain you heat, and shield you from the solar, insect bites and scratches.
It’s particularly necessary to cowl up at nightfall and daybreak when the mosquitoes are most energetic.
And when you’re doing any type of jungle trekking (like gorilla trekking) lengthy shirts and pants are important to cease you from getting scratched by branches.
On safari you’ll usually be exterior for lengthy durations of time, so it’s essential take into consideration garments that may shield you from the sturdy African solar.
So I might counsel a wide-brimmed solar hat (ideally with a chin strap for if you’re driving – they fly off simply), that has a excessive SPF issue and a long-sleeved shirt or coverup. And don’t neglect your sunscreen too.
Sun shades are an absolute should for me on a safari, to guard my eyes from the solar and since it’s so rattling dusty and windy within the safari automobiles. My eyes get actually dry, so I usually convey eye drops too.
I like to recommend having a pair of sturdy closed-toed sneakers (like sneakers, strolling sneakers, or boots) that are good for strolling round at night time, strolling safaris and hikes.
When you want a pair of shoes for trekking that aren’t too heavy for each day, I like my Scarpa boots.
Strolling/water sandals with thick soles (like Tevas) are additionally good for sporting round camp throughout the day, sporting at night time with thick socks or sporting on safari. As they’re fairly multi-purpose, they work properly for different elements of your journey too (ie. when you’re going to the seashore afterwards and so forth).
I additionally wish to take my Birkenstocks as they work for many completely different events. Some folks like crocs too… however I can’t fairly convey myself to get on board with these but.
I might keep away from sporting flip-flops. They are often good for across the pool, however they break simply and since the soles are fairly skinny, you possibly can really feel the acacia thorns that get caught in them.
Garments You Can Simply Pee In
While you’re on safari, there could also be instances when it’s essential pee within the bush. So… safari clothes that’s simple to tug up or down is finest.
So while that khaki jumpsuit could look cute in your photos, it’s extremely impractical – getting half-naked if you’re attempting to pee rapidly behind a tree will not be preferrred. Save the rompers for evenings within the lodge.
Safari Packing Listing
- Solar Hat: A large-brimmed hat is an important a part of your safari clothes equipment. The crushable ones are finest for packing. However I like the hats from Rogue Outdoor. I’ve this one.
- Sun shades: To guard your eyes from the solar/mud/branches.
- Buff/Mild Scarf: These are nice for protecting you heat, overlaying up from the solar, or protecting the mud out of your hair/face. A shawl also can make a fairly regular outfit look a bit extra glam.
- Down (or Heat) Jacket: Important for the colder months.
- Fleece/Sweater: Important for all yr spherical, for morning safaris/evenings.
- Lengthy-Sleeved Shirt: Nice for solar and bug safety. You may also think about a thermal prime for when it’s chilly.
- Lengthy Pants: For heat, bug safety, and trekking. When you convey leggings, thicker ones are higher as mozzies and tsetse can chunk by means of thinner ones. I additionally like denims as you possibly can put on them on safari and within the cities, however they’re not nice for any humid areas.
- Shorts/T-shirts/Tank Tops: For on a regular basis put on. Ensure that your shorts aren’t ‘too’ quick.
- Costume/Night Put on: When you’re on a tenting safari, you’ll most likely keep in what you wore throughout the day. However when you’re at a lodge, you’ll need some nicer garments for the night – safari clothes doesn’t all must be sensible. However most lodges aren’t significantly dressy although so you possibly can go away your ball robe at residence.
- Common Socks: For sporting with sneakers.
- Thick Socks: These are nice for protecting you heat, mountain climbing and mosquito safety. Rock the socks and sandals look, all of us do it in Africa.
- Underwear: I wish to convey sufficient for two weeks, however I do know some individuals who convey only a few day’s price and wash within the bathe as they go!
- Sports activities Bra: Girls, when you get sore boobs on bumpy roads, convey a superb, high-impact sports activities bra.
- Swimsuit: Some lodges have swimming pools, so pack your cozzie.
- Waterproof Jacket: Chances are you’ll need to take a packable waterproof jacket in case of rain.
Different Safari Necessities
- Bag: You’re going to wish one thing to place all that safari clothes in, so I like to recommend taking a smooth backpack or holdall, over a tough suitcase. I just like the Osprey Fairpoint vary. Mine is a 70L bag, however you’ll must test your baggage restrictions.
- Daypack: A small rucksack is nice for holding your day-to-day necessities, valuables, and digicam. Also can work as your carry-on for the aircraft.
- Head Torch/Lamp: Very helpful for when the ability goes out! I by no means journey with out mine. Some safari lodges present these however higher to have your personal.
- Digital camera & Lenses: You’ll need to seize all these great safari moments, so I like to recommend a DSLR with a lens of as much as 300 – 400mm. I just like the lenses that go from 18mm – 300/400mm so that you just don’t have to vary them, however these are fairly heavy to hold round on a regular basis.
- Spare Digital camera Battery: So that you by no means must miss an awesome shot.
- Telephone: Nice for taking close-ups and photos for Instagram.
- Chargers: For all electronics.
- Adapters: You have to to convey the related adapter relying on which nation you go to. You may see an inventory of the suitable adapters to convey on my vacation spot pages.
- Powerbank: Some safari automobiles have prices/plus inbuilt, however some don’t, so having a powerbank is admittedly helpful.
- Sunscreen: SPF 50 or above is finest.
- Mosquito Repellent: 50% DEET is beneficial. I additionally just like the bands you may get on your wrists and ankles.
- Moist Wipes: Nice for having in your purse/purse to wipe of the safari mud.
- Hand Sanitizer: You received’t all the time get probability to scrub your palms, so have some in your bag.
- Eye Drops: Nice to guard in opposition to dry eyes.
- Lip Balm: With an SPF to guard you from the solar.
- Moisturiser: Your pores and skin will get very dry, so convey some good moisturiser. I take face moisturiser, physique oil, lip balm, and heel cream – the whole thing!
For more information on what to pack on your journey general, see my full Backpacking Africa Packing Listing.
One Final Piece of Recommendation
Strive to not overpack. When you’re on a driving safari, you will have to journey together with your bag within the automobile if you transfer between locations, so the much less stuff you have got, the much less stuffed your automobile might be. That is extra necessary when there are 6 of you in a automobile. If there’s simply a few you, you’ll have more room.
When you’re on a tenting safari, you’re going to must sleep together with your bag in your tent! When you’re on a fly-in safari, most of the small airways have baggage restrictions (as much as 15kg and smooth baggage solely) so test what you might be allowed to convey.
Have you ever been on a safari? Every other strategies for nice safari clothes?
Pin This Put up For Later